The original seal of the Society has been lost. It was made of silver with a thistle, a crown, and the motto in Latin “Nemo me impune lacessit” engraved on it. The Ram’s Head Sniff Mull is another valued artifact; it has been used at every annual celebration since 1840. It was purchased in Halifax from Thomas Hanford at an auction and is said to have belonged to a Highland Regiment. Over the years the Society’s artifacts have taken many forms; a toddy kettle in the form of a curling stone presented by President William Thomson in 1870 is one example. In 1902 the Saint Andrew’s Society of Saint John added much to the material culture of St. George’s Society of Saint John by presenting to them a gold medallion to mark the hundredth anniversary of their founding. This medallion has since been worn by every President of St. George’s Society.
Of all the artifacts of the Saint Andrew’s Society, the President’s Chair – presented on 08 March 1908 – to mark the 110th anniversary of their founding is the most highly cherished. It was carved by John Rogerson, a member of the Society and a talented craftsman of his time. The wood for the chair was collected in seven different localities in Scotland and included a piece of a holly tree planted on Robert Burn’s first grave in Dumfries, and a piece over 800 years old, which had come from the castle where Bruce was born. The chair contains 26 pieces of wood. The first Vice-President’s chair, presented to the Society on 1919 by T. S. Whitlock, a descendent of William Campbell the original Vice-President of the Society, is another treasured artifact. The chair is reputed to have belonged to William Campbell who brought it from Singapore.
Society’s frist medal. “Land O’ Cakes An’ Brither Scots”. Replica of an original Targe,or shield, dated 1846 from
Worn by the first Vice President. Blair Castle,Scotland.
“Ram’s Head Snuff Mull” dates before 1840. Said to have belonged to a Highland regiment stationed in Halifax, N.S
Current sterling silver medal was first produced in 1889 and worn by any member of the Society.
First medal on the Society. Die was made in Edinburgh in 1856. Only four medals know to exist.
President’s Chair crafted by Society member John Rogerson and presented in 1908. Carved from historic Scottish wood. One piece being 900 years old.
A ballot container carved by the first Historian, A. Gordon Leavitt, early 1900’s.
Sterling silver “quaich”. Ceremonial drinking vessel.
The top sword dates from 1750 to1800. Typical Scottish basket hilt. The lower broardsword has been dated to the early 1700’s.
Used as a snuff mull this ink well was given to the Society in 1993 by Dr. John Thomson.
Replicas of “Lochaber Axes” made here in Saint John.
President’s medallion is gold and diamonds. Presidents names from 1798 to 1908 engraved on the back. Each President has his own medallion with his name, initials and dates in office.
Marshall’s batons date back to 1879. Presented by Thomas Finlay to bring order to the gatherings.
Officer’s sashes are worn at all special events. First used in 1895.
Punch bowl was presented in 1870 by the President William Thomson. Measures 18″ in diameter.
Sterling silver “White Horse Mull” or “Coronation Snuff Mull” was presented in 1902 to the Society.
Society crest carved by one of our Past Presidents, the late David Cormack. Presented in 1979 it measures 34″x34″